Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Who watches the Watchmen?

Weekly movie review time. This week its Watchmen. 

Watchmen
Starring: Carla Gugino, Robert Downey Jr., Malin Akerman, a neon blue guy, and Rorschach inkblot faced guy.
****** 6/7 stars

I knew little to nothing about this movie/graphic novel, but I heard that the comic book geeks flooded the theaters when it came out, so I rented it. Turns out this is an amazingly written graphic novel turned screenplay. I just watched it twice in 24 hours and the second time secured the 6th star. The action between this group of Cold War era super-human heros is a combination of the most creative wounds and perfectly directed gore I have seen in a while.  These superheroes have to all come to the realization that by having so much power they are actually making the world a worse place. The plot line is genius and if you pay close attention (or watch it a couple of times) you can realize it really is a tragic story. And there are boobs.

1 comment:

  1. You should read the graphic novel if you haven't, it's up there with my favorite books of all time and is one of those books that gets better and deeper every time you read it.

    ReplyDelete